This time around we would like to talk about pergola, their use, their types and the materials which are generally used for the making of pergolas.
This additional element is often used in Dubai, where the heat, especially the sun rays can be so strong, that it’s best to look for a shelter from them, especially in the midday hours. Pergola can be an additional roofing for an already existing deck or terrace and it can also be built as an alone standing building which is supported by 4 columns.
The use of pergola originates from Italy, where it has been providing shelter from all sorts of weather conditions, especially the sunlight for a pretty long time. Originally pergolas are made to be open-roof, letting the climbing plants comfortably occupy it over the years or even decades, however today’s modern pergola manufacturers in Dubai also deal with pergolas that come with all sorts of closed-roof designs.
Types of pergolas :
As for their shape, pergolas are made according to the required measurements, they can be rectangular, square and even circular shaped, however circular shaped pergolas are also referred to as gazebos. Pergolas are often made to provide shelter over a deck or a terrace, poolside or to provide cover for a track which connects a seating area with the house for instance.
Types of materials used for the making of a pergola :
Pergola is traditionally made out of wood, but these days, other alternate materials are also often used for their creation such as:
- Steel : When pergola is made with the support of steel beams. It is however important to ensure extra durability with a rustproof paint.
- Sail : It’s when a gazebo is made with the incorporation of sail canvas which can be suspended in-between the sail posts and even provide the roofing.
- Pitched : This is a high tent style pergola which is relatively rare in the Middle East, it’s been mostly done in countries with a larger quantity of rain. Pitched tent allows for a better water runoff quality.
- Gabled : Generally done for pergolas which are triangular shaped.
- Open-top : The general style for the classic pergola, this is perfect to provide shelter but still allow a good ventillation.
- Solar power : It’s when the roofing contains additional solar batteries, which is just a perfect energy saving solution for countries with lots of sunlight, just like Dubai.
- Plastic : High quality and durable plastic is also often used in the making of pergolas these days. Their advantage is being light weight and easily applied.
There are also multiple varieties concerning the roofing system as well which ranges from plastic to halo covering, according to the customers’ requirements. It should be noted, that the fabric and shade of roofing may have an effect on the overall light conditions inside the pergola.
The building of a pergola may last a few weeks depending on the availibility of manufacturers therefore it’s good to order it well in advance, especially before the summer season.